Membership in the Charlotte Master Chorale is by audition only.
Auditions are held twice a year; in summer and winter, and must be scheduled and confirmed in advance. We will announce when the next round of auditions will be held.
Please fill out the form to the left to be contacted about scheduling an audition.
When safe to do so and allowed by local health regulations, rehearsals take place on Tuesday evenings in the Fellowship Hall at Covenant Presbyterian Church from 6-9:30 p.m. for Chamber Singers (as well as occasional Saturday mornings) or from 7:00-9:30 p.m. for the full Master Chorale. (Rehearsals for the two groups do not overlap nights.)
1. All members must be at least 18 years old and have graduated from high school at the time of audition. (For younger singers interested in singing with a choir, please ask us about our Young Artists in Residence program or contact the Charlotte Children's Choir.)
2. Attendance for all rehearsals and concerts is expected. Special arrangements must be approved by the Director of Choruses.
Annual Membership Dues
Annual membership dues for the Charlotte Master Chorale are $75.
1. A piano‐accompanied solo of your own choice, preferably sostenuto. The purpose of this is to hear you on music with which you feel comfortable and that will illustrate the quality of your voice. An accompanist will be provided, but you should supply a copy of your music. Art songs or arias are preferred, as this repertoire demonstrates a vocalism most closely used in symphonic choral singing.
2. Sing "My Country Tis of Thee."
3. Read aloud the following German text:
Zwar ist solche Herzensstube wohl kein schöner Fürstensaal, sondern eine finstre Grube; doch sobald dein Gnadenstrahl in dieselbe nur wird blinken, wird sie voller Sonnen dünken.
4. Singers will also be asked to demonstrate ability in sight‐singing.